The Town Was Nearly Called Melton. The Post Office Wouldn't Have It.
By The Magnolia Standard · August 4, 2026
A clerical mix-up gave this town its name. The trees on Mill Creek did the rest.
The first settlers arrived in the late 1840s and called the place Mink's Prairie, after one of their own. By 1850 people had trimmed it to Mink. It stayed Mink for the next fifty years, and on September 3, 1885, it got a post office, with John F. Dobbs as postmaster. By 1900 the population stood at twenty-five.
Then the railroad came, and the town went to meet it.
In 1902 the International-Great Northern built a line through this part of the county, and Mink relocated to where Magnolia sits today. The railroad picked the new name: Melton, honoring Jim Melton, a large landowner in Montgomery County. It did not stick. The Post Office kept reading Melton as Milton and routing the mail accordingly, and that was that. The town was renamed for the magnolia trees standing in the bottoms along Mill Creek, and a post office under the new name was granted in 1903.
The same year, the Mink post office closed. Within a few years there was nothing much left of Mink at all.
Magnolia grew slowly. By 1915 there were 150 people, telephone service, a sawmill, Baptist and Methodist churches, two general stores, a doctor and the railroad. Four hundred people by the 1940s. Missouri Pacific took over the rail line by 1962. The town did not incorporate until September 28, 1968, which is later than most people assume.
What happened next is worth sitting with, because it runs against the story everyone tells about this place. Magnolia had roughly 1,150 residents in 1971. In 1980 it had 867. It shrank. It climbed back to 1,132 by 1989, then slid again to 940 in 1990. A town that now measures growth in subdivisions spent two decades losing people and gaining them back.
The line only turns sharply upward late. There were 1,111 residents in 2000, 1,393 in 2010, and 2,359 counted inside the city limits in the 2020 census. Anyone who has driven FM 1488 lately understands that the city-limits number stopped describing the actual place a long time ago.
Which brings us back to the name that lost. There is a Melton Street in Magnolia today, and the depot is still standing on it. The station the International-Great Northern put up in 1902, the year the town picked up and moved, was taken out of service in the 1960s and later hauled over to Melton Street. It is the Magnolia Depot Museum now. The Magnolia Historical Society has run it since 1994 out of 426 Melton, next door to Montgomery County's community building at 422, and the complex has grown to hold the depot, a Southern Pacific caboose, a vintage sawmill and Dr. Ware's office. Saturdays, 10 to 5. Weekday tours by appointment.
Whether the street took its name from the same Jim Melton the railroad had in mind is not something we can prove from the record, and we are not going to pretend otherwise. The Historical Society is the right place to put that question, and it is open every Saturday. If a reader gets there first with a deed, a plat or an old county map that settles it, the newsroom would like to see it.
Every town keeps a discarded name somewhere. Ours is on a street sign, with the 1902 depot sitting on it.
Sources: the Texas State Historical Association's Handbook of Texas entry for Magnolia, Montgomery County, which supplies the Mink's Prairie settlement, the September 3, 1885 Mink post office and postmaster John F. Dobbs, the 1902 International-Great Northern line and the town's relocation, the Melton naming and the Milton confusion, the 1903 renaming and post office, the September 28, 1968 incorporation, the Missouri Pacific takeover by 1962 and every population figure cited. The 422 Melton address for the Magnolia Community Building is from Montgomery County Precinct 2. The Magnolia Historical Society's own site supplies its 426 Melton Street address, its founding in 1994, the Saturday 10 to 5 hours, the weekday-tours-by-appointment policy and the contents of the complex, including the 1902 depot, the Southern Pacific caboose, the vintage sawmill and Dr. Ware's office. The depot's decommissioning and its move to Melton Street are from the museum's published history. The link between the street name and Jim Melton is unverified and identified as such. History tips and corrections to newsroom@themagnoliastandard.news.